Tringalwadi Fort is located near Igatpuri. Thal Ghat ancient trade route passes through it. Tringalwadi is a comfortable one-day trek ideal for new hikers. Talewadi village is located near the fort, Tringalwadi Dam is famous for camping nearby. The endurance required for this trek is medium, and trek difficulty is easy to medium.
At a distance of 10 km from Igatpuri, 50 km from Nashik, and 54 km from Trimbakeshwar, Tringalwadi Fort is located at Tringalwadi village in Igatpuri taluka of Nashik district.
Located at an elevation of 3000 feet, the Tringalwadi Fort is one of the main attractions in Igatpuri region. The presence of the caves indicate that the caves and the fort might be constructed around 10th century. The fort was built to overlook the trade route which connected Konkan to Nashik area. There is no evidence regarding the period during which it was under control of Marathas, however, during the year 1688 AD Mughals took control over the fort. It is one of the 17 forts which were surrendered to British in 1818 AD.
The fort attracts hikers and trekkers mainly during the monsoon. The top of the fort looks like a turban and overlooks the entire mountain range. At the foothills of the fort is a cave with beautifully carved entrance and a stone idol of Rishabhanatha in the sanctum. The cave has a large sabha mandapa. The fort also has a small Hanuman temple. One can see the ruins of old buildings and a small Bhavanimata temple on the fort. From the fort, travellers can also have a view of Kalsubai and Kulang mountain ranges.
The village Tringalwadi is the base village for the Tringalwadi Fort trek, which is about 3 km from the fort. The climb is very easy and takes about 1.5 hours to reach the top of the fort from the village. The best time to visit this place is during the monsoon.
The presence of the caves indicate that the caves and the fort might be
constructed around 10th century. The fort was built to overlook the trade
route which connected Konkan to Nashik area. In 1636 the Shahaji
( fater of King Shivaji) had to cede it to Moghils after the defeat at
mahulifort. It is not known when Shivaji took control of this fort, but in
1688 this fort was won by Moghuls. It is one of the 16 forts which was
surrendered to British in 1818 after the fall of Trybakgad fort.
How to reach
The village Tringalwadi is located 7 km from Igatpuri is located on
Mumbai-nashik Railway route as well as National Highway NH 160.
There are two routws to reach the village Tringalwadi from Igatpuri
first one passes through Igatpuri town and the other is by taking a
northern exit to Nh160 at Ghoti, futher passing through village Balayadyri.
The Tringalwadi fort is located on a hill which runs north-south. It is
a mesa rock formation. The climb is very easy and takes about 30
minutes to reach the top of the fort from the village
Place to see
At the footshills of the is a cave called Pandav leni with beautifully carved
entrance and a stone idol of Rishabhabatha in the garbha. The cave has
a large sabha mandapa. The western entrance to the fort is a unique structure
of architecture. The steps and the enterance gate is caved from a single rock.
There is an idol of veer- Hanuman or marutio near the enterance gate and
two sharabhaidols carved on the top of the entrance gate. On the foret are
runis of ols building and small Bhacanimata temple. There is a cave a
rock cut western side of the hilllock on the fort.